Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Art Visit

During the week of November 27, there was an art exhibition at what I think was the Slocumb Gallery. Before this review gets into full-swing I would like to say that I do not consider myself to be an art critic in any way, shape, or form. At this Exhibition, there were two pieces of art that I thought were particularly interesting.
            One was titled “Simulation” by Heather Lea Love.  The reason that I thought that this piece of art was interesting is because of how odd it looked.  I do not mean any disrespect to the artist when I say this, but I found the photo to be odd, and even a bit humorous.  The photo shows a medical student inserting an intravenous catheter into a medical dummy.  The expression on the dummy's face is what really gets me in this piece.  It's unblinking eyes wide open and its dry mouth agape made for a very interesting picture to say the least.  I am not sure what the photographer was going for when they took this picture, but I hope that they achieved the desired feelings out of at least one person. 
            The second piece of art that I thought was interesting was titled “Out of Chaos” by Debra Locher.  I am fairly certain that I understood what the artist was trying to do with this piece.  This piece was a collection of nine minerals if I remember correctly, manipulated in a way to show their internal structures.  I personally love science and looking at rocks and minerals in particular.  I agree with the artist in the idea that there is something inherently beautiful about these things that sometimes take hundreds of thousands of years to form, and then come into your life almost as if they were created just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment